Have you finished your holiday shopping yet? I’m pretty embarrassed to say there are still a few gifts outstanding on my list. For me, it’s the big gifts for my VIPs that I still haven’t found (yikes), but if you’re scrambling to pick up some last-minute gifts for your boss, girlfriends or even a hostess gift, I’ve got you covered.
The old faithful standby for ladylike gifts has always been a combination of soaps, lotions, fragrances and beauty products. Over the last few years, I’ve been gravitating more towards luxurious candles – the sort of thing you might feel too extravagant for buying for yourself but secretly lust after. This year, I’ve had more trouble than usual staying away from these sweetly scented goodies since my favourite beauty products have put out candles in their signature scents. Whether you pair them with their scent-sake or give them alone, these luxe candles will make anyone smile.
1. Moroccanoil Candle, $58 | The first time I caught a whiff of Moroccanoil, I remember wishing I could bathe in it, apply it as perfume and generally smell like it all the time. Now that they have an entire line of body products to go along with their cult classic haircare line, I can now live that dream. Give the Moroccanoil body butter a try if you haven’t already – it has the texture of actual butter and sinks in so beautifully to save winter-ravaged skin. But I digress. They also have a luxe candle with a 50-hour burn time, allowing your home to smell relaxing and seductive at the same time.
2. Fresh Sugar Scented Candle, $60 | The Fresh Sugar Lip Balm is my go-to stocking stuffer for just about anyone in my life. 25% of the reason is the delicious sparkling lemon citrus scent. It’s not too sweet or too tart – rounded out by caramel and tonka it manages to be just right. This candle is all that and more. Give them together and you’re sure to stay on the nice list all year long.
3. Barr-Co Natural Wax Candle, $26 | The original Barr-Co scent of vanilla, milk, oatmeal and vertivert gives you that punch-drunk love feeling the moment you encounter it. Warm, soothing and romantic it’s a universally appealing – so much so that the fiancé and I are both on our second. The gorgeous glass it comes in looks just as much at home in your bedroom as it will your home office. For extra credit, pick up the Barr-Co Hand Duo from Anthropologie for about $42. PS. it also comes in a travel-sized version. This is because you won’t want to leave your house without it – really.
4. Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede Scented Candle, $72 | I’ve had Jo Malone on the brain since learning the Peony & Blush Suede was Arianne from The Glitter Geek’s wedding fragrance. This charming fragrance of peonies with red apple, jasmine, rose and gillyflower mingling with soft blush suede is seductive and luxe. If you’re in the midst of wooing a lady, this just might do the trick. I don’t need to tell you where the candle would end up.
5. Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb Bombilicious Scented Candle, $72 | One of my all-time favourite fragrances, Flowerbomb has notes of bergamot, tea, freesia, jasmine, orange blossom, orchid, rose and patchouli. What you need to know: it smells sexy, womanly and sweet. Packaged up in a frosted pink glass votive, you’ll want to laze around during every one of it’s 35 hours of burn time.