I’m all for treating yourself year round, but the holidays are definitely the time of year where you can go big on luxe items (for yourself and others *wink*). One of my favourite things to find under the tree is a shiny new gadget and I know I’m not alone. Have someone special in your life and want to really trick out their stocking? One of these five gadgets is sure to make them smile in a big way. The best part? You don’t have to break the bank for these nerdy-chic gifts.
1. KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer, $449 (currently on sale at The Bay for 349.99) | Whether you’re shopping for a newlywed, budding baker or a longtime kitchen fiend, the KitchenAid Stand Mixer is the ultimate kitchen tool. Not only does it whip up amazing frostings, light-as-air cupcake batter and froth egg whites like none other – you can also use it to make homemade pasta, ice cream and squeeze your own fresh juice with the many attachments. I’ve had mine for years now and can’t imagine working in the kitchen without it.
2. Tria Beauty Hair Removal Laser 4x, $449 | The Tria Beauty Laser is my favourite new gadget. It lets you get all the benefits of laser hair removal without ever having to leave your house (or bed, for that matter). Give the gift of smooth, touchable skin with this handheld, lightweight laser that can give you up to 70% reduction in hair after just 2 treatments. Bonus: thanks to our bleak Canadian winters are the perfect time for laser hair removal – your skin is at its palest. Guys – you probably shouldn’t give this to your girlfriend unless she specifically asks for it 😉 let her BFF be the bearer of silky smooth DIY skin.
3. Kobo Glo, $129.99 | If you know someone who is still holding out on the e-reader bandwagon, it’s time to forcibly push them on. I was adamant about not wanting an e-reader but after receiving this very Kobo from my future in-laws last Christmas I can’t imagine commuting or traveling without it. The 6″ E Ink screen has no-glass and no-glare – even in direct sunlight – meaning it looks exactly like paper and won’t smash in your purse. Bonus: this has space for up to 1,000 books and built-in wi-fi so you can download books pretty much anywhere. Like in the airport lounge when you can’t find anything you like at the news stand (true story).
4. Kate Spade USB Key, $50 | Nothing inspires a gal to quit losing her USB keys like giving her the gift of 4GB in a pretty little bow. This USB key makes a great gift if only because it feels almost to frivolous to buy for yourself on the average day. Make it an even more practical gift with the Harrison Stripe USB – this dainty little number has a keyring attached for easy access at all times.
5. Fujifilm Instax Mini 8, $79.99 | For the person in your life who is equal parts retro and in need of instant gratification, this Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 is the perfect gift. It’s a Polaroid camera without the hefty pricetag for film. I may have picked this up for a certain fiancé for Valentine’s Day last year after he lamented the death of the Polaroid camera. The tiny little photos it pops out immediately will inspire you to shake it like a polaroid picture (and take more real photos).
Which gadgets are on your wishlist?