The dog days aren’t over – they’re just beginning.
Summertime can be a catch-22 for beauty addicts. Summer is a great time to experiment with bright, fun colours but creeping temperatures usually result in sliding makeup.
[photo courtesy of doornail243 on flickr]
With a few easy swaps (and a few miracle products) it’s easy to summer-proof your beauty routine.
- Show some skin. Switch your foundation out for a tinted moisturiser or mix a bit of foundation with your AM cream for a sheer look. Apply concealer only to spots that need it (like blemishes or under-eye darkness). Perfection!
- Add SPF. SPF is important all year long, but it’s especially so in the summer. I use a primer with SPF (try Stila Hydrating Primer Oil Free SPF 20, ~$34) and a foundation with SPF (like Smashbox High Definition Healthy FX Foundation SPF 15, ~$38)
- Make it stick. Seal in your perfect skin with the perfect glow. A powder bronzer with a bit of shimmer, like NARS Bronzing Powder, ~$33, will set your foundation and keep things mostly matte without looking dry.
- Mattify. Does your forehead become an oil slick? Try a product like Smashbox Anti-Shine, ~$27, on slippery areas to instantly mattify. Bonus: it can be re-applied throughout the day (but, trust me, you won’t have to).
- Glow, baby, glow. No summer look is complete without glowing cheeks. Mimic that day-in-the-sun look with a gel blush, like Tarte Cheek Stain in Tipsy, ~$30. A little goes a long way with this first-class gel that’s easy to blend and buildable.
- Stop the slip ‘n slide. Waterproof is your friend. For liner that won’t budge, try Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, ~$20). This liquid liner has a marker-like tip for easy application and a formula that’ll last through a downpour and a day at the pool. Seriously. It comes off with makeup remover, but be prepared for a little elbow grease. Bonus: it comes in sparkly colours that are highly pigmented, as well as your favourite neutrals.
While benefit BADgal waterproof mascara, ~$19, won’t last through laps at the pool, it’s the perfect formula for sultry eyes in steamy temperatures (or to keep happy tears at a wedding from giving you racoon eyes!). The waterproof formula provides the same great lift, definition and thickening power of the original.
- Stay kissable. For lip colour that will keep going through a smoochy summer night and will last through a day at the beach, pick up an on-trend matte shade like NARS Pure Matte Lipstick in Carthage, ~$25. The colour goes on bold and makes your lips look like you’ve been sucking on a cherry popsicle all afternoon. Perfection. Mattes can get a little drying, so make sure to pop some SPF-infused balm in your bag (I love Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15, ~$22.50)
What are your summer beauty must-haves?